ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS
For a candidate to be admitted into the first degree programme (B.Agric. in Soil Science), he/she must have the Senior Secondary School Certificate or its equivalent with credit level passes in five (5) subjects viz: English Language, Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics and Agriculture/Biology at not more than two sittings. The candidate must also earn an acceptable score in the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination UTME. Aside attaining the approved UME (UTME) minimum score, the candidate must score the required post-UTME of the University.
- Direct Entry Candidates (4 years programme):
In addition to the specified qualification for UTME entry mode, candidates seeking admission through direct entry must possess one of the following qualifications:
- Higher School Certificate (HSC) or general certificate of education advanced level (GCE A/L) or its equivalent passes in Chemistry and in at least one science or social/ management science subjects like Botany, Zoology, Agricultural Science, Physics, Geology, Economics and Geography.
- National Diploma (OND/HND) obtained in relevant fields of Agriculture, Fisheries, Wildlife, Forestry, Cooperative and Agribusiness Management or Veterinary Science with a minimum of upper credit.
- National Certificate of Education (NCE) pass with a minimum of credit grade (60 to 69) obtained from a college of Education recognized by the university with relevant subject combinations from among Agricultural Science, Biology, Botany, Zoology, Chemistry and Economics.
Candidates for the four year direct entry programme will be admitted into the 200 level.
To be eligible for a B. Agric. Degree in Soil Science and Land Resources Management in the Faculty of Agriculture, a candidate must successfully complete the following;
(i) University common courses
(ii) Inter- and intra-Faculty courses
(iii) Departmental courses
(iv) One full year of practical training in the penultimate year in the University or an approved farm or agricultural establishment.
(v) Satisfactory completion and defense of research oriented project work.
- Inter and Intra University Transfer
Inter-university transfer admission into Nnamdi Azikiwe University shall only be allowed in exceptional circumstances to be determined by the University Admission Committee/ University Senate. Where the University decides that it is necessary to accept a candidate on inter-university transfer, such a candidate, who must be in good academic standing, and has spent at least one academic year in a recognized University, may apply for transfer. A candidate is allowed to transfer into the Faculty only at 200 level having satisfied the UTME entry requirement and has not been withdrawn from any University.
Transfer shall not be allowed into the first or final year of any programme.
A candidate requesting transfer shall:
- Meet the necessary requirements as contained in both the general entry requirements and the Faculty/Departmental requirements.
- Satisfy Faculty/Departmental requirements.
- Return a completed transfer form, obtained from the Registrar at the prescribed fee.
- Ensure that the Registrar of his/her current University forwards his/her full transcript to Nnamdi Azikiwe University.
All completed transfer forms shall be processed by the Dean of the Faculty and the Head of Department to determine appropriate course of study, waiver, year of study and the year of admission.
The results of (v) above shall be presented to the Admission Committee of Senate for consideration and approval
If admitted the student shall:
- Earn waivers for only those relevant courses passed in his/her previous University.
- Receive a formal letter of transfer/admission from the Registrar stating the Department, the programme into which admitted, waivers granted, the year of study and the session the candidate shall be registered in.
All transfers shall be completed before the registration of each academic session.
Deferment of Admission
- Candidates to be considered for deferment of admission shall be only those candidates admitted through UTME or Direct Entry.
- Applications to JAMB for deferment of admission shall be copied to the Registrar, Nnamdi Azikiwe University and shall be made within first two (2) weeks of the session.
- Programme/discipline structure to include period of formal studies in the Universities Industrial Training, planned visit and project :
The B. Agric programme is a 5 years degree programme for UTME Candidates and 4 years for direct entry students with options in Agricultural Economics and Extension, Animal Science/ Fisheries and Aquaculture, Crop Science and Horticulture and Soil Science and Land Resources Management. The university Academic Session runs for two 15 weeks semester (Harmathan and Rain). The students are exposed to general science courses in their first year, expose to different specialization in Agriculture in their 2nd and 3rd year. They are given appropriate laboratory exposure in relevant courses. The student must go for 6 months Industrial Training (IT) in 4th year. The students are expected to undertake literature research, write up and present seminar on any chosen topic in Agriculture as selected by the student under the supervision of a relevant academic staff. Each student is expected to do a research project selected on the basis of the student interest and supervised by an academic staff, which may involve field, laboratory and library studies. The research findings are expected to be presented in dissertation by every student at their 500 level.
- Admission Requirements for Postgraduate Students
Candidates seeking admission for postgraduate Diploma in Soil Management and Land use planning must have any of the following qualifications from recognized institutions:
- Higher national Diploma in Agriculture with a minimum of Lower Credit
- Minimum of pass Degree at Bachelor’s level in Agriculture or related discipline (sciences)
- Minimum of pass in Higher National Diploma plus ten (10) years cognate experience.
- Five (5) credits (C) in O – level, including English, Mathematics and Chemistry plus any other two (2) of the following: physics. Biology and Agricultural scienceDuration of Postgraduate Programme
- The Full-time Postgraduate Diploma programme shall run for a minimum duration of two (2) semesters and maximum of four (4) semesters.
- The Part-time Postgraduate Diploma programme shall run for a minimum duration of four (4) semesters and maximum of six (6) semesters.