ADMISSION REQUIREMENT AND CURRICULUM
Undergraduate Admission/Graduation Requirements
- UTME Candidate (5 Years Program):
For a candidate to be admitted into the B.Fisheries/B.Agric. (Fisheries) programme of the department he or she must have Credit Passes in 5 WASSCE/GCE/NECO Subjects including English, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology/Agricultural Science, at least a pass in Physics at not more than two sittings.. The Credit pass in Agricultural Science must be backed up by at least a pass in Biology. The candidate must also earn an acceptable score in the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) with Subject combination of English, Mathematics/Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Agricultural science.
- Direct Entry Candidate (4 Years Program):
In addition to the specified qualification for UTME entry mode, candidates seeking admission through direct entry mode must possess one of the following qualifications:
- Higher School Certificate (HSC) or General Certificate of Education Advance Level (GCE A/L) or its equivalent passes in Chemistry and in at least one science or social/management science subjects like Biology, Botany, Zoology, Agricultural Science, Physics, Geology, Economics and Geography.
- National Diploma (OND /HND) obtained in relevant fields of Agriculture, Fisheries, Forestry, Wildlife, Cooperative and Agribusiness Management or Veterinary Science with a minimum of Upper Credit.
- National Certificate of Education (NCE) pass with a minimum of credit grade (60 – 69%) obtained from a College of Education recognized by the University and with relevant subject combinations from among Agricultural Science, Biology, Botany, Zoology, Chemistry and Home Economics.
- a) Inter and intra university transfer
Inter-university transfer admission into Nnamdi Azikiwe University shall be determined by the university admission committee/university senate. Where the university decides that it is necessary to accept a candidate on inter-university transfer, such a candidate, who must be in good academic standing, and has spent at least one academic year in a recognized university, may apply for transfer. A candidate is allowed to transfer into the faculty only at 200 level having satisfied the UTME entry requirement and has not been withdrawn from any university.
- b) Programme/discipline structure to include period of formal studies in the Universities Industrial Training, planned visit and project: The B. Agric programme is a 5-year degree programme for UTME candidates and 4 year for direct entry students with options in agricultural economics and extension, animal science/ fisheries and aquaculture, crop science and horticulture and soil science and land resources management. The university academic session runs for two 15 weeks semester (harmathan and rain). The students are exposed to general science courses in their first year, exposed to the different specialization in agriculture in 2 and 3 year. They are given appropriate laboratory exposure in the relevant courses while the fourth year should be basically left for practical farm training. This training should be for duration of 12 months of which not less than 80% should be devoted to practical training on a farm and related industries. Each student is expected to do a research project selected on the basis of the student’s interest and supervised by an academic staff, which may involve field, laboratory and library studies. The research findings are expected to be presented in a dissertation by every student at their 500 level.
To graduate, a student shall have undergone 4 or 5 years of study depending on his entry point, including one practical year of 12 months. The activities of the practical year should include periodic seminars on the student’s work as a way of stimulating interest as well as the presentation of a written report to be graded at the end of the year. Course workload must meet the graduation requirements of the University. However, in doing so, the student must earn a minimum of 167 credit units for the five year programme and 132 credit units for the four year (direct entry) programme in Agriculture and related fields as indicated under course requirements. The submission of an undergraduate project thesis based on supervised research is a graduation requirement, which must not be compromised. This requirement exposes the student to problem-solving techniques and provides him with an ability to organize ideas from literature and research findings. In short, it prepares the student for the work ahead and for further training at the postgraduate level. This area of academic preparation needs to be maintained and developed further.
Award of Degree/Diplomas
Degrees/Diplomas of the Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka shall be awarded to candidates who by authority of the senate, have been found worthy in character and in learning for the award of such degrees/diploma.
To be found worthy in learning, a candidate must have successfully completed and passed all the prescribed examinations and courses of instruction required for such degree/diploma, within the stipulated time, or as the senate may otherwise prescribe.
Students who have been found involved in cases of gross misconduct such as (but limited to) examination malpractice, convened felony or other cases of criminal offence, association with or membership of secret cults or organization proscribed by the University or the Government, shall by the authority of the Senate, not be worthy in character for the award of a degree/diploma of the Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka.